August 22, 2026
1:44

The defence says a marriage certificate was never registered, and that the issue is being taken up with lawyers in the United States.

By Alric Lindsay

The Grand Court was told on August 21, 2026, that the alleged bigamy case of Emerson Villalobos Lizama turns on whether a marriage legally took place at all.

Defence counsel, Prathna Bodden, told the court the matter concerns the validity of documents, and that the defence case is that the certificate was never filed and never sealed. The issue for trial, counsel said, would be whether the marriage in fact happened and whether it was properly and lawfully done. Counsel added that lawyers in the United States had been instructed to contest the position, having advised that the marriage was never registered there.

Asked by Justice Richards whether a decision was awaited from that jurisdiction — and so whether the Cayman proceedings should wait — counsel said no decision was pending, but that she hoped to obtain an affidavit from the American attorney setting out what had happened, which could then be put to the prosecution as a matter of public interest.

Counsel made clear the matter would not resolve by a guilty plea, and said no witnesses would be needed because the underlying events were not in dispute; the question was whether the marriage was valid for the purposes of making out the charge.

The matter was listed for mention on October 16, 2026, so that the defence can provide its update to the prosecution.  The man’s bail was extended until that date.

Leave a Reply