August 20, 2026
2:09

By Alric Lindsay

A man who had faced allegations of abduction, rape, threats to cause harm and common assault, has been formally found not guilty and discharged in the Grand Court today, July 29, 2026, after the main witness for the Office of Director of Public Prosecutions failed to attend court. In the circumstances, DPP Crown Counsel said the DPP offered no evidence against him.

Explaining the situation, DPP Crown Counsel said:

What I failed to do earlier this morning was [to] advise the court, pertaining to the situation with the Crown and its main witness… the complainant.

… the complainant gave a withdrawal statement.

DPP Crown Counsel added:

She was… informed by the investigating officer… to appear for the original trial date…

She did not attend.

Communication was relayed to the complainant through an employer who also indicated that he would assist in having the complainant in court today.

Since the DPP’s key witness did not show up today, DPP Crown Counsel said that the Crown would not be in a position to proceed and offered no evidence against the man.

Acting Justice Palmer directed that formal verdicts of not guilty be entered on the charges and discharged the man. The jury panel that had been assembled for the trial was released.

Defence attorney Amelia Fosuhene told the court that her client had been held in custody since February. She spoke about the wider problem of people having their liberty restricted where matters are not properly progressed — telling the court, in effect, that individuals should not be left in that position when investigations and prosecutions are not properly carried through.

Acting Justice Palmer said it was “troubling” that the man had spent so long in custody before the case reached this point.

The man, who leaves the court without any finding of guilt, had been in custody since February before the charges were disposed of.

Leave a Reply